Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Alex Tizon|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Awards:||Oregon Book Award for General Nonfiction, 2015|
|Description:||261 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Killing Magellan --
Land of the Giants --
Seeking Hot Asian Babes --
Babes, Continued --
Asian Boy --
Tiny Men on the Big Screen --
Its Color Was Its Size --
Getting Tall --
Wen Wu --
Yellow Tornado --
"What Men Are Supposed to Do" --
"One of Us, Not One of Us" --
Big Little Fighter --
"Why do so many people find Asian women sexy but Asian men sexless? Alex Tizon's family emigrated from the Philippines when he was four. He quickly learned to be ashamed of his face, his skin color, his height. In movies and on television he saw Asian men as 'servants, villains, or geeks, one-dimensional, powerless, sneaky little men.' His observations of sex and the Asian American male -- as funny as they are fierce -- include the story of his own quest for love during college in the 1980s. It was a tortured tutorial on stereotypes that still make it hard for Asian men to get the girl. And then, a transformation. First, Tizon's growing understanding that shame is universal; that his own just happened to be about race. Next, seismic cultural changes--from Jerry Yang's phenomenal success with Yahoo! Inc., to actor Ken Watanabe's emergence in Hollywood blockbusters, to Jeremy Lin's meteoric NBA rise. Finally, Tizon's deeply original, taboo-bending investigation turns outward, tracking the unheard stories of young Asian men today, in a landscape many still find complex -- but that increasingly makes room for powerful, dynamic Asian American men"--
- Tizon, Alex.
- Filipino Americans -- Biography.
- Young men -- United States -- Biography.
- Asian American men -- Social conditions.
- Asian American men -- Psychology.
- Asian Americans -- Ethnic identity.
- Sex role -- United States.
- Masculinity -- United States.
- Sexual attraction -- Social aspects -- United States.
- United States -- Ethnic relations.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Cultural Heritage.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Personal Memoirs.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Editors, Journalists, Publishers.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Ethnic Studies -- Asian American Studies.